snowy field image

snowy field image

Monday, July 27, 2015

Little White Walker

Inspired by geekyhooker.wordpress.com - so many cool little characters!

Awwwww watch out John Snow get cha boys.  Papa smurf coming to whoop that ass.
Coming soon - little John Snow?

This was a really fun, quick project to break up the monotony of giant blanket making.  It would be easy to make the whole cast of characters for tons of shows.  This hair technique is one that I've used before except that you separate the strands of yarn a bit before tying them on.  I also did something new which is stitching with yarn on the face to make eye brows and cheek bones and a nose.  The little spear was quicker to make than I thought.  Just a piece of wooden skewer from the kitchen drawer wrapped in brown embroidery thread and stuck a piece of foil tape on the pointy bit.

Pattern for the crochet bit is very simple: two spheres stitched together with a little modification.

Body:
Work a sphere: 6, 12, 18, BLO 18, 21, 24, 25, 24, 21, 18, 12, 6.  Stuff in some poly-fil before closing and thread tail through remaining 6 stitches.  I prefer to alternated threading one stitch front to back and the next back to front all the way around and then pulling tight, tying a knot and hiding the end.  To help the body stand up easily, I slip stitched a separate row around the bars from the BLO row to make a little lip around the bottom and press the first three rows flat.

Head:
Work a sphere: 6, 12, 18, 21, 24, 25, 24, 21, 18, 12, 6.  Stuff with poly-fil before closing and attach safety eyes if you want.  I sewed beads on the outside later because I didn't have blue safety eyes.

To sew the head and body together, I sew a line of contrasting color loosely around in a circle on both pieces where I want to attach as a guide.  Then place the pieces together (both decrease ends to hide them) and pin together with long straight pins for sewing.  I use pins with big heads so they can't slip into the doll.  Then sew together with needle and thread.

I'll maybe get around to making a more detailed pattern some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment